IT Network/Systems Engineering Manager Research Facility
Our client is hiring a Full time IT Network/Systems Manager that has the expertise to run, operate and manage a remote R&D facility in Montreal, Canada.
You will be a remote embedded technician supporting researchers in a small lab setting like a start-up. You will need to interact with researchers and folks just learning the environment, and be capable of success with both. You will need to be an IT generalist that can dig deeper as a specialist, and can think on his\her feet, a whiz so to speak that takes the scenarios presented and makes sound decisions.
In other words, there is IT and breadth of knowledge and then there is just figuring out root cause and then engineering a solution, so an issue does not happen again.
IT Managers that work only on large scale projects at a high level, but do not have the basic hands-on skills are going to struggle in this role.
You will design solutions that fully qualify and meet the customer’s needs today and into the near term, not just an IT solution that is technically sound. You will interact with corporate IT and other IT teams to gain a reasonable result for the group, you support. You will be self-motivated, self-directed, and have a strong desire to find a workable solution. You will think about the security and corporate policy implications of any solution you provide as part of the finished product.
- Work remotely with a team that engineers, deploys and supports the technical and procedural needs that develop in the process of conducting basic computer science research. To facilitate effective research with timely delivery of technical solutions based on our clients and or 3rd party software and hardware. To focus on delivering timely solutions engineered with the highest possible levels of customer service, attention to detail, cost effectiveness and trustworthy computing.
- You will engineer, manage, and conduct in-depth troubleshooting and analysis of existing and new solutions for various research projects.
- The focus being toward distributed computing and includes privacy, security, protocols, fault-tolerance, large-scale systems, concurrency, computer architecture, Internet search and services as well as related theory.
- This includes: Designing, securing, deploying, maintaining, and improving existing and new network related servers, services, and research applications.
- Provide expertise in the development, troubleshooting and support of Intra and Internet based applications.Develop and implement architectural and procedural requirements aimed at improving service delivery and customer satisfaction.
- Provide software, hardware and security focused configuration of existing and new servers and services.
- Create and drive specifications for future designs and configurations of web related servers and services.
- Support existing server configurations leveraging the following Microsoft software, services and more: Windows 2016, Azure, IIS, SQL, System Center Suite, FTP, HPC, Exchange, and SMTP.
Additional responsibilities include:
- Network design and configuration
- Back-up and verifications of server configurations and user data where necessary, implementing and maintaining server monitoring, hardware / software load balancing technologies and change control procedures.
- Evaluating and implementing additional software, hardware, configurations, and applications as required by various teams to support research and development efforts is important.
- Address and support general network needs as requested by researchers in support of their research efforts.
- Drive automation of tasks by leveraging technology available within and outside of our client.
- Providing training to end users as well as a wide variety of other support duties as required.
In this role, you will interact with lab leadership and provide first-class and professional executive support as well and have an ability to dig deep, keep trying, maintain an honest dialogue while explaining your action plan, accept mentoring when hitting roadblocks, and stay cool under pressure while working through something. You will follow-through on what you commit, discover, and qualify expectations; and develop or adapt methodologies to keep all issues active in queue.
The role also requires you to learn our Audio Video infrastructure and capture, record, and stream periodic lectures and events.
Qualifications: 8 years minimum:
- In depth knowledge of networking protocols including TCP/IP
- Sound troubleshooting
- Functional experience with UNIX and OS X operating systems
- Familiarity with wireless networking technologies
- Experienced in OS image development and deployment
- High level experience with Windows and Microsoft products
- Thorough knowledge of Microsoft Server components as well as other industry standard server components
- Experience with end user computer hardware, networking equipment and desktop software applications
- Analytical and organizational skills
- BS/BA degree in computer science or related field preferred
- Proven ability to learn and come up to speed quickly on new / unfamiliar technologies
- Strong documentation and communication skills
- 8 – 10 years of demonstrated work experience in related fields
Like to have expertise:
- History as a IT Manager
- Knowledge of the OSI stack, preferable Layers 2,3,4,5 and 6
- Working as a IT manager within a Lab environment and responsible to keep this running
Base range is $128k to $158k, plus annual bonus, company stock and possible signing bonus all DOE
You must live in or near the Montreal area as you are required to be onsite.
Canadian or US citizens only and must be able to start by June 30th 2018 or sooner.
PS please review this role in detail, if you’re not at least 80% qualified as to the minimums listed above please do not submit your CV for review as we are trying to focus on qualified candidates in a very short window to fulfill this position, thanks